- Lasagne Alla Naples
- (Lasagne Alla Napoletana)
For the Lasagne Pasta:
11 oz (300 grams) plain flour (if possible, Italian type "00") plus extra for dusting
3 eggs, lightly beaten
For the Filling:
11 oz (300 grams) minced beef
- 2 oz (50 grams) Parmigiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1/2 garlic clove, chopped
1 and 3/4 pints (1 liter) tomato "passata"
- 1 and 1/2 oz (40 grams) butter, plus extra for greasing
5 oz (150 grams) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Prepare the Filling:
Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes, thena dd the tomato "passata".
Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 1 hour.
Boil four of the eggs for 10-12 minutes, then cool down in cold water, shell and slice.
Mix together the minced beef, Parmigiano cheese and remaining egg in a bowl and season with salt.
Shape the mixture into small balls.
Heat 1 oz (25 grams) of the butter and the remaining olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the meatballs and cook until browned all over, then add them to the tomato sauce.
Prepare the Fresh Pasta Dough:
Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a mound on a work surface.
Make a well in the center and add the eggs.
Using your fingers, gradually mix the flour, then knead for about 10 minutes (If the mixture is too firm, add a little water; if it is a bit soft, add a little extra flour.
Shape the dough into a ball and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
Roll out on a lightly floured surface or use a pasta machine to make two thin sheets.
Cut into 4-inch (10-cm) squares and cook, a few at a time, in plenty of lightly salted, boiling water for a few minutes.
Drain and place on a small damp towel.
Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas Mark 3.
Grease a large ovenproof dish with butter.
- Arrange a layer of lasagne on the base and cover with the tomato sauce with meatballs, then the mozzarella and a few slices of hard-boiled eggs.
Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of tomato sauce.
Dot the top with the remaining butter, cover the dish with foil or baking parchment and bake for about 1 hour.
Leave to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
- Free Newsletter!
- The weekly newsletter
provides hard to find Sicilian and Italian recipes, holiday specials,
the latest updates on our company, special "members only" offers
and much more.
- Need More Recipes?
Sign up for more recipes from our Italian affiliates:
- Oregano From Italy